This Page

has been moved to new address

It's Not All About The Numbers

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Double Glazing Blogger: It's Not All About The Numbers

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It's Not All About The Numbers

If I remember rightly, it is a year today since I started this blog. I was inspired by others out there and thought why not! I'm sure a couple of people might want to listen to what I have to say. And as it turned out, more than a couple of people now read what I have to say, which is heartening!

As my blog progressed and started to gain more visits and more followers, I started to become more obsessed with how many people were visiting per day, how many visits, how much time they spent on my blog etc. It got so bad I was checking about 20 times a day! I must say now however that I do have an addictive personality, so do tend to over-do things!

Anyway, I've told myself this week that it's not all about the numbers, it's about having content people will want to read, which goes back to the original reason I started this blog. It's always nice to get lots of followers and visits everyday, but I always appreciate it more when people leave a comment, questioning what I have written, asking me questions or just venting their own opinions. It means they've taken their own time to read what I've put out there, and that always puts a smile on my face.

Over the last year I've managed to nark some people off, make new contacts and talk to people I never would have if I had not started this blog. Hopefully this will be a project which will carry on over the next year and beyond. I enjoy writing this blog, so intend very much to keep putting on the best content I can, as regularly as I have been doing, giving you all my perspective on the ways of the world.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous RCG said...

Hi DGB

Congratulations on your first anniversary!

It's only natural that you check your stats regularly and hope that people comment - I'm exactly the same. When I've finished typing here, my next job is to check my stats (which I also did before I went to bed) and then check for any comments in Wordpress (which I also last did before I went to bed).

In reality the vast majority of my readers never comment, or comment very occasionally. Indeed, I read all of your posts. I don't always agree (far from it), but I enjoy reading your perspective.

Don't give up and leave me on my own.

RCG

March 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM  
Anonymous business plan said...

Motivation is very important to keep us from blogging. It’s great to know that you’re still here and doing fine. Good luck.

March 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Insolvency advice said...

Congratulations for coming this far! And thanks for sharing your personal blogging experienced, you really did inspire people to continue blogging.

March 10, 2010 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

RCG - I don't plan on goning anywhere don't worry lol.

Insolvency advice - thanks for the positive messages, I'm glad I've done some good and inspired others to keep blogging away. This seems to be the only form of free media, what with media moguls thinking of charging for their news and opinions, so we need to keep the bloggersphere going!

Business plan - thank you too for the positive messages, glad to see others leaving comments here. If I didn't have people leaving the odd comment or two I know my motivation would be lacking some days!

March 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous RCG said...

Lol. Don't want to spoil all the good feeling on your website today, but 'Insolvency Advice' and 'Business Plan' are seo guys trying to build anchor text links to websites about insolvency advice or business plans.

I get similar nonsense comments on a daily basis - very annoying. You'd be better deleting them otherwise you're letting them get away with it (and delete this of course).

RCG

March 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

I might keep these on, they seem more personal than other ones I've read. I always filter out spam ones, they are a lot worse than these!

March 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blog is good - congratulations. One small gripe though - you don't gave to announce every blog post through Twitter. We already know that you blog every day. Right, back to lurking...

March 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

Anon - point noted, but, if I have any new followers, at least they get to know of my blog and how often I update.

March 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough.

You can get plugins for the major blog engines that will send out a Twitter update about your blog posts. Typically you can do it on a per-post basis, once a day, once a week etc. Because you blog so regularly, I'd say that a Twitter every two or three days would cover your needs.

Also, remember that your blog is listed in your Twitter bio, so new followers will see the address when they follow you.

One last thing - I'd advise you (and other bloggers) to put a prominent RSS widget on your blog, to let us subscribe to your blog posts through Google Reader etc. If you use Feedblaster, you can check out the numbers that subscribe as well.

March 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

I've put an Atom feed up in the right hand corner if you think that will do the trick?

March 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home