This Page

has been moved to new address

iPad Or Playbook?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Double Glazing Blogger: iPad Or Playbook?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

iPad Or Playbook?

As many will know, Apple has just released the iPad 2. It looks very impressive. Two cameras, one front and back, dual-core processor, HD screen, new A5 chip. But I've also been keeping an eye on Blackberry's Playbook. It too has some impressive specs.

iPad vs Playbook Specs:

iPad:
  • 7.31" wide x 9.5" tall x 0.34" deep
  • Foward facing a rear cameras
  • Wi-Fi with 3G and Bluetooth capability
  • 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage options
  • Weight: 601g
  • 9.7 inch (diagonal) display, LED back lit
  • 1024 x 768 pix
  • HDMI outlet
  • A5 1Ghz dual-core processor
  • 10 hour battery life
  • No Adobe flash capability

Blackberry Playbook:

  • 5.1" wide x 7.6" tall x 0.4" deep
  • Forward and rear facing cameras
  • Wi-Fi and 4G on three of the four models
  • 16GB, 32GB and 64GB storage options
  • Weight: 400g
  • 7 inch LCD screen
  • 1024 x 600 pix
  • HDMI outlet
  • A9 1Ghz dual-core processor
  • 1GB memory
  • Flash compatible
Those are the main stats. Here's a video comparing some of the features of the Playbook with the iPad, note that this comparison is made with the original iPad, and not the second generation, there is no such video made yet!


You would assume that the iPad 2 would match the Playbooks speed. The other factor drawing me to the Playbook is that it can pair directly to my Blackberry Torch phone. Something which the iPad 2 can't do.

My concern is that the Playbook does look quite small next to the iPad. I want to use it for demo's for when I go on leads. I think the iPad's bigger screen would do a better job.

The iPad not having Flash support is a big drawback for me. I watch a lot of videos on all sorts of different sites. I won't be able to do that with the iPad, and I don't want to keep using my laptop just to watch videos on. The Playbook doesn't have this problem.

The price of the Blackberry device is looking like it's going to be roughly the same as the new iPad.

I'm torn really. Can anyone help!?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous NickD said...

hello.
go onto the apple site and watch the Keynote Presentation by Steve Jobs and you'll see why it has to be the ipad. Whatever people do to compete with the ipad, they cant. developers etc are writing for the ipad and little for the other devices. 64000 apps for the ipad and only about 100 apps on all the other devices. I use my ipad for the same line of work as you and it is the one to go for. there are ways of syncing ipad to your blackberry easily i have a blackberry and an iphone.
I really think if you got any other tablet you'd be left wishing you'd got the ipad instead. Ive had a very long play with the galaxy tab and the dell and they dont even compare. (and few people are buying them!!)
A lot of people slate apple, but my answer is 100million iphones sold and in just 9 months 15 million ipads - we cant all be wrong.
Have a look at that apple presentation all the way through especially the video where they show how ipad is being used in schools and for business and other walks of life and you'll see what i mean.
Ipad all the way!!
Regards
Nick

March 18, 2011 at 4:40 AM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

Hi Nick

I really do want an iPad. It will aid me in my work no end. But on my current laptop I do a lot of video watching and play online games (when I get a minute!). A lot of my online time is spent using websites that use Flash, and I'm wanting to get a tablet to replace my laptop as I believe they are better and the natural replacement for laptops.

Simple answer is I'll have to have a good look at both the Playbook to make my mind up properly!

March 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am tempted by a dell duo to be honest. Problem I have with all these slate machines is their lack of functions. I want to use flash, I want to use Silverlight, hell I want to be able to use proper software just like I can on a netbook, but I want a slimline touch environment like an iPad...

Cant be too much to ask for can it?

Finally, is it me or is everyone missing the point of these devices. They arent that mobile (7" up to 9") so why can I not get a 10" - 14" versions. At these sizes I can enjoy a real good experience and to be honest, havent lost much of the portability. If I want to be highly portable, I use my smart phone...

March 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM  
Anonymous sadleronline said...

J

I bought an IPad in June 2010 and my wife is convinced I am having an affair with it ! (is there an app for that ?) It is a great bit of Tech and I use it always on the road, with an IPad 3G your online in 20 seconds and connected to the office in less than a minute. It does everything brilliantly and I would never be without it BUT !!

No Flash is a real issue to me, all the websites and online designers we provide to our customers run flash so we need a device to be able to cope giving a flexible point of sale tool.

So for me it will be an IPad but for a fully funtional business tool it will be playbook (I just hope my IPad doent find out)

Al

March 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Double Glazing Blogger said...

Thanks for your comment Al.

If Apple had Flash available on their devices, I would go for the iPad every time.

Blackberrys are built for business, and I'm wanting a tablet computer to help me with my work.

As a brand Apple is king at the moment, but it doesn't do everything. People who are serious about buying and using frequently a tablet computer, should consider what it's capabilities are.

March 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home