This Page

has been moved to new address

Has The Industry Got Bored With The Internet?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Double Glazing Blogger: Has The Industry Got Bored With The Internet?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Has The Industry Got Bored With The Internet?

Those who visit websites/forums related to the double glazing industry will have no doubt realised that they have fallen quiet over the past few weeks. Glasstalk is a perfect example. The forum really seemed to be gaining momentum with plenty of people logging on, asking questions, causing debates and the odd heated argument. But then about six weeks ago, activity on the site really seemed to fall off a cliff. Maybe it was down to people becoming busy as the year's trading started to move into gear. Maybe the novelty of the site has worn off people and it just isn't as interesting as it was before. To be honest, I haven't posted on the site for weeks myself. Mostly because I've been too busy in the office. But also I've just had nothing to say on there really. Any of the bigger issues I have I write on here. But at the moment I don't have anything of value to post on the Glasstalk site.


I have also noticed a drop in traffic levels during April. Partly due to all the Bank Holidays during the month. But there was also just a general drop in traffic. I think for the same reasons which has seen Glasstalk's drop in content. This leads me to wonder if double glazing blogs/forum's are a winter past time.


During the coldest and quietest months of the year, our businesses suffer their slowest months. This also means sales people have more time on their hands. And where do people turn during bordem? The web. That's when sites like this one will benefit. That's my theory anyway. Of course when a hot topic springs up, traffic will respond positively. But I do honestly think that those who regularly visited double glazing sites have now refocussed and have steered clear of the web to make sure more of their efforts are concentrated on selling and making money. I myself have been guilty of spending too much time during the day on the web. I've also been making and effort to spend less time on the web.


Tell me if you think I'm wrong, but those are the reasons I'm putting forward for the reduced traffic to both these sites.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Nick said...

No I dont think the industry as got bored with the internet. Personally I do a lot of work on it but it is time consuming sometimes when there is writing to be done.

In my view it is about how you can use the internet to the advantage of your business. I drive 40000 plus miles a year visiting new customer, yet many new customers have come on board via email marketing, social medial, blogs etc. If i was brutally honest I would much rather find customers without having to do the miles, but on the other hand nothing beats face to face communication. What the internet can do, as we all know, is give you access to untapped customers, which following a little bit of work in preparing an electronic mailshot is essentially free access to potential customers.

April was a dead month for sure. Many people I have spoken to have blamed the short weeks (although I'm sure we all enjoyed the time off). I know many people whose living relies on the work they do online and i guess its that line between needing the internet to actually earn a living or using social media to give our own sites etc extra exposure, links and so forth.

That said Im a firm believer that online is definately the way to give your business exposure - if you know how to do it, or have the help from professionals.

Kind Regards
Nick

May 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Mike said...

There were 23 working days in March, but only 18 in April. So that's 25% down for a start. And then many people took off days in between the bank holidays, so if anyone got more than, say, 70% of their usual hits they're doing quote well.

I think GlassTalk has a different problem - it's become a bit stale and same-y. There are only a handful of people who contribute regularly, so - naturally - conversation dries up a bit.

May 12, 2011 at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home